The United States Mission
Nigeria seeks to identify highly academically qualified and motivated,
low-income, Senior Secondary 3 (SS3) or 12th-grade students in Nigeria to join the
EducationUSA Opportunity Funds (OF) Program.
mission is to assist highly-talented and determined,
economically-disadvantaged students to negotiate and finance the
admissions process for colleges and universities in the United
States.The aim is to produce highly-skilled and widely-educated leaders
to build tomorrow’s Nigeria.
EducationUSA OF works closely with
students through regularly scheduled meetings and seminars to assist
them throughout the application process to secure admission and
scholarships for colleges and universities in the United States.
Opportunity Funds finances all costs of the application process,
including registration fees for required standardized examinations and
provides free membership to the U.S. EducationUSA Advising Center for
its participants. Opportunity Funds expects a sincere commitment of
students to give back their energy and time to the program and to their
communities and to be the best they can be.
welcome from all the states in Nigeria. However, students must be able to
reach our office in Lagos on a monthly basis during the school year,
throughout school holidays, and after the WASSCE exams, for full
participation. Participants will work with our EducationUSAAdvisorsfrom
June 2021 - August 2022 or sooner to try to secure places and financial
assistance to begin study in the U.S.not earlier than August 2022.
students will be part of a global network of Opportunity Funds students
from 17 countries and four continents. Click here
to learn more about successful
Opportunity Funds students
Note: ENTRANCE INTO THIS PROGRAM IS NO GUARANTEE OF A SCHOLARSHIP OR FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE TO STUDY IN THE UNITED STATES.
- Strong academic record/ transcript
- Robust participation in extracurricular activities
- Involvement in leadership roles (prefectship is preferred)
- Excellent community service participation
- Financial Need
- Transcripts that show an A average or above 80%
- WAEC results (if available): 8 A’s & above (2020 & 2021 WAEC for school candidates only)
If any of the criteria is not met, EducationUSA is not obliged to notify the applicant.
- Complete Application Form: Complete the application form electronically
- Attach a photocopy of your WAEC “O” Level results if available (from WAEC website).
(Include Cambridge A’Level or IGSCE results, if applicable.)(limit 1MB)
Request a teacher or your school principal to complete the attached
letter of recommendation form, attesting to your character, talent and
skills. Please do not include a basic testimonial that does not talk
about you as an individual.
- Upload a scanned copy of your official transcript from JS1 to SS3 including your mock and first term results.(limit 2MB)
- Write two essays, of about 350– 400 words (type it in a word document, then copy & paste)
- Upload a scanned copy of any supplementary certificates of achievement(limit 1MB)
Please upload all supporting documents as pdf files with proper titles
e.g. “John Doe Transcript”, “John Doe WAEC” etc. Documents sent via
email will not be considered.
Paper copies will not be accepted.