Opportunity Funds Graduate Application
There are many determined and talented, economically-disadvantaged students in Nigeria who lack only financial resources and access to information to better their educational future. The United States Mission Nigeria seeks to identify highly academically qualified and motivated, low-income, fresh graduates in Nigeria to join the EducationUSA Opportunity Funds Program (OFP).
EducationUSA's OFP’s mission is to assist highly-talented and determined, economically-disadvantaged students to negotiate and finance the admissions process for colleges and universities in the United States. The aim is to produce highly-skilled and widely-educated leaders to build tomorrow’s Nigeria.
EducationUSA's OFP works closely with students through regularly scheduled meetings and seminars to assist them throughout the application process to secure admission and scholarships for colleges and universities in the United States into Ph.D. programs. EducationUSA OF finances all costs of the application process, including registration fees for required standardized examinations and provides free membership to the U.S. EducationUSA Advising Center for its participants. EducationUSA's OFP expects a sincere commitment of students to give back their energy and time to the program and to their communities and to be the best they can be.
Applicants are welcome from all the states in Nigeria. However, applicants must be able to reach our office in Abuja or Lagos on a monthly basis, throughout any leave time, for full participation if selected. Participants will work with our EducationUSA Advisors from June of the year of selection to August of the following year or sooner to try to secure places and financial assistance to begin study in the U.S.not earlier than August of the following year.
Successful students will be part of a global network of EducationUSA OFP Scholars from many countries around the world. To learn more about successful EducationUSA OFP Scholars, visit the success stories pageSelection Criteria for Graduate Application
- Applicant must have graduated not earlier than 5 years before applying (final year students not qualified) from an accredited Nigerian University (a Master’s degree is an advantage)
- Transcripts that show a GPA of 4.5 or above on a 5.0 scale
- Degree results: First Class only
- Applicants in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) fields must be ready to apply for Ph.D. programs.
- Detailed Resume/CV (to include work experience and research publication)
- Robust participation in relevant work experience (at least 1-year post-NYSC)
- Selected applicants must be prepared to take the GRE test and score at least 310 or be disqualified from the program.
- Financial Need
If any of the criteria are not met, EducationUSA is not obliged to notify applicants.